Friday, September 16, 2011

Easier?

Friends,

So many of you have asked about my health status. Yet it feels strange to do updates on Facebook.  So I'm going to try to occasionally post what's going on with me here, and you can check when you feel like it. I hope that doesn't feel impersonal. I'm so low in energy right now that this is the best I can offer.

Background: As you may know, in August scans showed the cancer was on the move again, and I needed to switch treatments. I had 10 radiation treatments then changed to another chemotherapy. The new chemo knocked me off my game, both with low platelet counts and extreme fatigue. I got platelets twice and since then I've spent a lot of time sleeping.

Counts have been somewhat better since then, so I'm taking it day by day with lots of support from Howard and Abbie. This is harder on them than it is on me, I'm afraid. Lots of friends have also picked up support, with everything from grocery shopping to yard work to moral and financial support. I'm so, so grateful.

So that's where things are for now. Here's today's report:

Sept. 16: Today's blood count was high enough that I didn't need platelet infusion. I will get checked again on Monday, then perhaps get chemo again on Wednesday. (We're looking at once a week now rather than once every three weeks so keep the effect on the blood from being as hard hitting.)

Let me know if this format is helpful. And if you have more questions please feel free to text, call or email. Thank you for all the love you're shown us.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great way to keep up. When you'ready to go RSS, that'll be good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,

    This is a terrific idea! Sally and Nina have been keeping me pretty well posted but hearing news from you directly makes me more comfortable in a lot of ways. I always wonder, when I get second-hand reports, how much the person being reported ON wants me to know. Still on my prayer list for you: healing, unflinching courage, opportunities to laugh.

    Writing news: The little fiction piece I submitted (known to the writer's group as "Cat") was decisively rejected. I don't know whether it's worth revising (the editor made no comments) or if I should just file it and move on. At least I'm over the mourning part!

    And I need to thank you for opening up the possibilities of the internet to me. I'm still a novice but I now have an interactive website and am turning into something of a marketing shark!

    You are being thought about, prayed for, and hoped for!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Linda for sharing this with us.
    I think it will be much easier for you than individual updates and it is certainly an enormous blessing to those of us that wake up wondering how you are doing every day.
    I hope each day is better than the next.
    Lots of love,
    Carri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Linda. I know this blog posting from you comes as welcome news to all of us, but I hope you won't let it become a burden. Our need to know isn't nearly as great as our desire for everything to be as easy for you as possible. I am sending along my prayers and love,figuring that they are in good company with Connie's.

    All is well here, except that I eat, sleep and dream moving. Can't write, haven't begun the Dunbar revision, just want to know where I'll be living in three months or so. Silly to stress out about it. I need a dose of your common sense.

    Wishing you a good day with lots of sunshine.

    Love,

    Sally

    ReplyDelete